You can also view my profile on LinkedIn.
Full-time or consulting position specializing in UX (user experience) Design – user interaction/workflow design and/or user research.
Professional user experience designer in the high-tech industry with a thorough knowledge of design processes, prototyping tools, user research techniques, and organizational challenges, who has provided award-winning innovative design, led design teams to early product releases, and improved organizational understanding of user needs.
- Mifos – MIcroFinance Open-Source software UX overhaul during 3-month sabbatical from VMware.
- VMware Workstation 5 receives various awards for ease-of-use.
- VMware VirtualCenter case study in “User Centered Design Stories” edited by Carol Righi and Janice James.
- Designed innovative UI for NuvoMedia Rocket ebook, a hand-held e-book. Patent pending on icon design.
- Press applauds Taligent Places® for Project Teams UI as innovative. IBM patents pending on three UI concepts.
- Team quality award for Cadence usability process from concept to implementation.
- Received high marks from attendees of “Designing for Usability” course at Cadence.
- Completion of Calma EDSIII. Highlighted in July 1989 VHDL Magazine.
- Carnegie-Mellon Design Award for outstanding design.
Benetech, Palo Alto, CA 2013 – Present
Bookshare – working to improve the usability and accessibility of Bookshare’s web ebook library and mobile tools (GoRead for Android and Read2Go for iOS) for the blind and learning disabled. Martus – Redesigned desktop and mobile client software and designed a web packaging app for human-rights documentation focused on personal security.
VMware, Inc. Palo Alto, CA 2004 – 2013
Designed the first user experience of VMware vCloud Suite 5 and vSphere 4. User experience lead for VMware Update Manager plug-in and VMware Workstation 5. Conduct contextual inquiries and usability testing, as well as creating mockups and specifications as part of design process. Redesigned Mifos microfinance software during 3-month sabbatical.
Knowmadic, Inc. Santa Clara, CA 2002 – 2004
Redesigned UX for Knowmadic Foundation Studio, a business analysis tool for 40-person startup. Responsible for all aspects of design including usability testing. Product shipped in 5-months and was easier to use than original.
Consulting 1995 – 2002
User interaction design and usability testing for organizations such as: Intuit QuickBooks™ and Quicken™, Intel Intel Inside™ program, Remedy HelpDesk, Macromedia shockwave.com, NuvoMedia Rocket e-book, Symantec VisualPage, Hewlett-Packard, and Taligent Places® for Project Teams.
Cadence Design Systems (previously Valid Logic, Calma) 1987 – 1992
Co-founded the usability design and engineering effort at Cadence. Responsible for corporate strategy on usability issues. Taught UI design course. At Valid and Calma was manager of 4 and 5 person teams. Management work included planning, scheduling, hiring personnel, performance and salary evaluations, and resource allocation.